Last week I coincidentally came across a video made by the lovely Sarah aka. holistic habits. She made this delicious looking Afghan Rice consistent of grated veggies, spices, rice, raisins and other delicious goodies. As soon as I finished watching it I knew I wanted to recreate my own version.
The outcome was amazingly refreshing and loaded with nutrients and vitamins. So here’s the recipe.
- 170 grams brown rice
- juice of 1 orange or 2 clementines
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2-3 grated carrots
- grated sellery root
- 1 onion
- 1/2 tbsp coconut oil
- 1/2 to 1 cup of raisins
- handful of walnuts
- ** secret ingredient: 1 tbsp of apple cider vinegar**
- fresh ginger & minced garlic
- spices: *nutmeg, *cinnamon, *clove, ginger, corriander, salt, red pepper….
- optional: a splash of red wine.
*Use only a tiny bit of these ingredients, otherwise the flavor will be too overwhelming.
** This is A MUST !!! It makes everything so much more flavorful and adds that special something to the dish **
- Prepare your ingredients by chopping and grating them.
- Cook your rice with double the amount of water. Add the ginger and orange/lemon juice.
- let it boil for aprox 5-12 minutes and then add in your grated seller root (or ay other finely chopped veggies) Once it’s roughly cooked spice it all up with the rest of your lemon juice and apple cider vinegar. Set aside and let it finish cooking on a low flame.
- heat up a non-stick pan and add 1/2 tbsp of coconut oil. Add the chopped onions, garlic and rest of ginger. Season everything with salt & pepper.
- OPTIONAL: deglaze it with a splash of red wine.
- Add the raisins to the pan and let them get all soft and mushy.
- Mix everything together along with the grated carrots.
- Plate the finished rice and top it off with the chopped nuts, more raisins and some dried herbs and flower petals.
- ENJOY :*
This dish might sound a little bit intricate but once you have prepared all your ingredients all there’s left to do is cook and mix everything together. Lots of Love and Flavor the blueeyedkitchencat